Shannon School of Aeronautics

Commercial License Costs

A commercial pilots license is required for any pilot who wishes to fly for compensation or hire. A basic commercial license is required for such activities as becoming a flight instructor, crop dusting, banner towing, towing gliders, and other flying activities. A pilot who wished to eventually apply for a job with a charter, regional or national airline must possess a commercial license, and may eventually need to earn other ratings, such as an ATP License or specific aircraft type ratings. While an instrument rating is not a prerequisite for a commercial license, it is recommended.

  • Under Part 61, a pilot must have at least 250 hours of flight time, including at least 50 hours of cross country PIC time. There are several the specific requirements that must be met. The advantage of training under Part 61 is that pilots often find that they meet most of the requirements, except perhaps the complex aircraft training requirement. If you elect to train under Part 61, you will receive credit for the time you have already. In many cases the flight time needed may be only a small portion of the total requirement.
  • Under Part 141, a pilot must have at least 120 hours. Instruction under Part 141 must be in a JLS Aviation aircraft that is certified for instrument flight.

Aircraft Rental Rates: Aircraft rental costs have been fluctuating recently with the variable (and lately increasing) cost of aviation fuel. Be sure when you compare costs that you inquire about fuel surcharges. At JLS Aviation, we choose to provide aircraft costs inclusive of all charges.


Aircraft Cost  Per  Hour Instructor GPS Installed
C-152 $115 $60 GNS-430W (IFR Certified)
C-172M $134 $60 GNS-430W (IFR Certified)
C-172N $134 $60 GNS-430W (IFR Certified)
P28-151 $130 $60 GNS-430W (IFR Certified)
P28RT-201 $170 $60 GNS-430W (IFR Certified)


There are normally two avenues available to a pilot toward obtaining a Commercial Pilot Certificate. You should consult with the Chief Instructor to determine which is the most appropriate for your situation.

Part 61. The cost estimate for a student who has completed total time (or within 90%) and also the experience requirements of CFR 61.129 (a) may be able to complete the commercial training for as little as $3,000. The best course of action would be to . Some students may have also completed other parts of the training, such as night solo time or the long, solo cross country. In these cases, credit will be allowed when the flight times meet the requirement under the FAR. The total cost is an estimate and will vary, and may in fact be much less.

Part 141. The costs estimated for a student who has an instrument rating and wants to enroll and complete the Commercial License under Part 141 is easier to calculate. All training can be conducted for about $22,000. Under certain circumstances, up to a total of 25% of the course requirements may be credited toward this program. The commercial course is accredited by the VA. Eligible beneficiaries may be reimbursed for significant portions of the cost toward earning a commercial license.



Earning a pilot's certificate is a thrilling experience as well as a significant accomplishment. It is also expensive. Should financing be needed, we are registered with Pilot Finance. You should contact them directly for information about your specific needs.